Both Primary School and Secondary School (Integrierte Sekundarschule in grades 7 to 10 resp. gymnasiale Oberstufe in grades 11 to 13) of SIS Berlin are state approved as Ersatzschule. This means that SIS Berlin provides courses and qualifications comparable with those offered at German state schools; teaching is in accordance with the relevant state curricula. Students attending Primary and Secondary School at SIS Berlin automatically meet the German requirements for compulsory school attendance.
Moreover, grades 7 to 10 of the Secondary School (Integrierte Sekundarschule) at SIS Berlin are officially recognised as Ersatzschule. In these grades, SIS is authorised to issue official progress reports and hold the examinations for the Mittlerer Schulabschluss (intermediate school leaving qualification).
For Primary School and grades 11 to 13 of Secondary School (gymnasiale Oberstufe), SIS will apply, in given time, for full state recognition. For a private school full state recognition may be granted only after the successful completion of a trial period of several years.
Please note the following important information:
- At SIS Berlin, basic curricula, grading systems and promotion regulations comply with the requirements for Berlin state schools.
- At SIS Berlin, admission is subject to the principal on the basis of the application and the admission talk. If necessary, trial lessons can be arranged. To be admitted to grades 11 to 13 of our Secondary School (gymnasiale Oberstufe), students generally need to produce a successfully completed Mittlerer Schulabschluss (intermediate school leaving qualification). Equivalent foreign school certificates are scrutinised individually on whether they grant admission to grades 11 to 13.
- On those education levels that are not fully state recognised (at present, Primary School and grades 11 to 13 of Secondary School), progress reports issued by SIS Berlin provide general guidance only and cannot be considered as officially recognised progress reports.
- In case a student transfers from SIS Berlin to another school, the respective school management decides on the admission of the student, if necessary in consideration of legal conditions.
- Until grades 11 to 13 of Secondary School (gymnasiale Oberstufe) of SIS Berlin have been granted full state recognition, the school cannot hold in-house examinations for the bilingual Abitur (university entrance qualification). Students can complete state recognised exams only under special conditions (Nichtschülerprüfungen). SIS Berlin aims to apply for full state recognition for grades 11 to 13 for the school year 2018/2019.
- Grades 12 and 13 in school year 2016/2017, as well as grade 13 in school year 2017/2018, have the status of a Ergänzungsschule. Students of these grades are prepared for the A-Levels (British school leaving certificate, which is considered, under certain conditions, as a university entrance qualification) in the school year 2016/17 respectively for the International Baccalaureate (IB) in the school year 2017/18.
International families who are not familiar with the German school system are strongly encouraged to contact the principal for further advice before they enrol their children.