Both the primary and secondary school of SIS Regensburg are officially approved as Ersatzschule (an Ersatzschule provides courses and qualifications comparable with those offered at German state schools). Teaching is in accordance with the relevant state curricula. Students at SIS Regensburg meet the German requirements for compulsory school attendance.
SIS Regensburg is seeking full state recognition as an Ersatzschule. Private schools can receive full state recognition only after several successful years of operation. State recognition for the secondary school can only be applied for after at least two successful final year cycles (Abitur). At the primary school level, SIS has already applied for state recognition. The final decision may take some time due to the comprehensive and detailed examination by the Bavarian Regierungspräsidium.
- At SIS Regensburg, curricula, grading system, examination and promotion regulations, etc. comply with the requirements for Bavarian state schools. SIS Regensburg adheres to the lesson timetable for secondary schools with a focus on modern languages (Sprachliches Gymnasium).
- For admission to SIS Regensburg the student must fulfil German public school admission requirements for the corresponding school level. For admission to SIS secondary school, the student must submit a transfer certificate (Übertrittszeugnis) from their German primary school . As long as the secondary school has the status of a state approved Ersatzschule, SIS primary school students require an internal recommendation from their primary teachers for admission to SIS secondary school, based on the corresponding public school transfer criteria. Please discuss your child’s individual situation with the principal prior to possible enrolment.
- Until SIS Regensburg has been granted full state recognition, the school cannot issue official progress reports. Progress reports issued by SIS Regensburg during this period provide general guidance only. The primary school cannot issue transfer certificates (Übertrittszeugnisse) to the secondary school as long as the school has not been fully recognised.
- If a student of SIS Regensburg wishes to transfer to a public school or a fully state recognised private secondary school (Gymnasium or Realschule) in Bavaria, an entrance examination may be required, as long as SIS Regensburg is state approved, but not state recognised.
- Until SIS Regensburg has been granted full state recognition, the school cannot hold in-house examinations leading to the recognised German educational attainment qualifications. This means that at least the two initial final year groups must write external examinations under special conditions (Externenprüfung).
- Progress reports issued at the end of grade 9 and 10 will not automatically be equivalent to the corresponding school leaving examinations (Mittelschulabschluss and Mittlere Reife respectively). Those exams would have to be taken externally, unless the school has already received full state recognition.
For further information regarding the status of the school and on regulations for admission and transfer to and from other schools, please contact the principal.