SIS Regensburg is seeking full state recognition as an Ersatzschule. Full state recognition can be applied for once the schools have successfully completed a trial period of several years. State recognition for the Secondary School can only be applied for after two successful completions of the final year (Abitur). At Primary School level, SIS has applied for state recognition. The comprehensive and detailed examination by the responsible school authorities will take some time.
Please note the following important information:
- At SIS Regensburg, curricula, syllabi, grading systems, promotion regulations, etc. comply with the requirements for Bavarian state schools and the corresponding legal provisions (Bayerisches Erziehungs- und Unterrichtsgesetz). The SIS Secondary School adheres to the lesson timetable for secondary schools with a focus on modern languages (Sprachliches Gymnasium).
- For admission to SIS Regensburg, students must fulfill German state school admission requirements for the corresponding grade level. For admission to the SIS Secondary School, the student must submit a recommendation (Übertrittszeugnis) from their German primary school or have documented evidence that they have passed an admission examination for German state secondary school (Gymnasium). Concerning the transfer from the SIS Primary School to the SIS Secondary School, students need an internal recommendation which is oriented at the recommendations for state secondary schools – as long as the SIS Secondary School has the status of a state approved Ersatzschule.
- Until full state recognition has been granted, SIS Regensburg cannot issue official report cards. Report cards issued by the school during this period provide general guidance only. The school cannot issue primary school recommendations (Übertrittszeugnisse) as long as the school has not been fully state recognised.
- Until SIS Regensburg has been granted full state recognition, the school cannot hold in-house examinations for educational attainment qualifications. As long as the school has the official status of a state approved, but not yet fully recognised Ersatzschule, students will complete state recognised exams only under special conditions (Externenprüfung). Report cards issued at the end of grades 9 and 10 will not automatically be the equivalent to the corresponding school leaving examinations (Mittelschulabschluss and Mittlere Reife respectively). Those exams would have to be completed under special conditions.
- If a student of SIS Regensburg wishes to transfer to a state school or a fully state recognised private secondary school (Gymnasium or Realschule), an admission examination may be required unless SIS Regensburg has already received full state recognition.
For further information regarding the status of the school, the regulations for admission and the transfer to and from other schools, please contact the principal.
International families who are not familiar with the German school system are strongly encouraged to contact the principal for further advice.